Per Deadline, Vin Diesel’s Fast X raced to the top of the domestic box office results, taking in $67.5 million in its opening frame.
While a good start, the figure is considerably lower than the likes of Furious 7 ($147M), The Fate of the Furious ($98M), Fast and Furious 6 ($97M), Fast Five ($86M), Fast & Furious ($70.9M), and F9: The Fast Saga ($70M). Considering we’re on the tenth (and counting) installment (eleventh if you include Hobbs & Shaw), it makes sense for some fatigue to set in. All involved were likely expecting numbers in the $80M range, considering the lofty $340M price tag, but this is still a solid start for the epic.
Overseas, the Universal sequel kicked off with $251.4M from 84 markets, bringing its opening weekend global total to $319M.
Meanwhile, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 dipped 47% in its third frame and collected another $32.7M to raise its domestic total to $267.2M. James Gunn’s finale is still a ways off from reaching the final results of the 2014 original ($333.7M) and Vol. 2 ($389.8M), but it’s holding well and slowly making its way up the MCU box office ladder. At this point, the pic has already surpassed Captain America: Winter Soldier’s $259M domestic cume and sits just behind the original Doctor Strange’s $676M worldwide total.
Box Office Results (5/21/23):
- Fast X (Uni) 4,046 theaters Fri $28M, Sat $22.2M, Sun $16.8M 3-day $67M/Wk 1
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (Dis) 4,450 theaters Fri $8.3M Sat $14MSun $10.4M 3-day $32.7M (-47%), Total $267.2M/Wk 3
- Super Mario Bros (Uni) 3,540 (-260) theaters, Fri $2.25M Sat $4.45M Sun 3-day $9.8M (-22%) Total $549.2M/Wk 7
- Book Club: Next Chapter (Foc) 3,513 (+5) theaters Fri $900K Sat $1.2M Sun $900K 3-day $3M (-55%) Total $13.1M/Wk 2
- Evil Dead Rise (NL) 2,173 (-648) theaters, Fri $685K Sat $1M Sun $715K 3-day $2.4M (-35%) Total $64.1M/Wk 5
- John Wick Chapter 4 (LG) 1,312 (-301) theaters Fri $330K Sat $600K Sun $400K, 3-day $1.33M (-36%), Total $185.3M/Wk 9
- Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret (LG) 1,668 (-697) theaters, Fri $330 Sat $600K Sun $400K, 3-day $1.3M (-48%) Total $18.6M /Wk 3
- Hypnotic (Ketchup) 1,733 (-385) theaters, Fri $240K Sat $370K Sun $275K 3-day $885K (-63%) Total $4.1M/Wk 2
- Blackberry (IFC) 595 (-75) theaters Fri $155K Sat $225K Sun $155K 3 day $535K (+9%) Total $1.2M/Wk 2
- Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (Par/eOne) 511 (-423) theaters Fri $104K Sat $178K Sun $108K 3-day $390K (-51%) Total $92.8M/Wk 8
Discussion about this post