This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Savory Sweet Potato Casserole is a delicious new way to enjoy this classic Thanksgiving side dish! Tender bite-sized pieces of sweet potato are combined with fresh herbs and seasonings, sprinkled with a cheesy crispy topping, and baked to perfection. This recipe is easy enough for weeknight dinners, yet it’s perfect for the holidays, too!
I am loving this new twist on the sweet potato casserole! If you’re looking for other ways to enjoy this tasty vegetable, try mashed sweet potatoes, sweet potato cobbler with marshmallows, and don’t miss out on this more traditional sweet potato casserole.
Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
A flavorful Savory Sweet Potato Casserole is the perfect way to change up the menu this holiday season! While I love the traditional sweet potato casserole made with brown sugar and a sweet pecan crumble topping, this new savory version has my family’s tastebuds dancing with delight! This recipe starts with cubed sweet potatoes that are coated in a liquid mixture made with butter, chicken stock and fresh herbs. It’s then topped with a crispy parmesan topping that takes this dish to the next level!
Pair this with turkey in a bag and Grandma’s sausage herb stuffing for Thanksgiving, but be sure to make it outside of the holiday season, too. It’s wonderful served with a variety of other main entrees, like perfect air fryer steak or chicken fried steak. This is sure to impress everyone that tastes it. And they’ll all be going back for seconds and thirds!
Many of the ingredients in this savory sweet potato casserole recipe are probably ones that you already have in your kitchen. This makes it so simple to put together! See the recipe card below for a list of exact ingredient measurements.
- Sweet Potatoes: This veggie brings a natural sweetness and hearty consistency to the casserole.
- Butter: Melted butter adds richness and flavor.
- Chicken Stock: Adds flavor and the perfect amount of moisture, so the casserole doesn’t get too dry while baking.
- Fresh Herbs: Fresh thyme, oregano and parsley provide fresh, earthy flavor that balances the sweetness from the potatoes.
- Garlic: Minced garlic adds a nutty, buttery taste.
- Salt & Pepper: To bring all of the flavors together.
- All Purpose Flour: Helps thicken the sauce mixture of butter, chicken and herbs.
- Crispy Topping: A combination of panko breadcrumbs, grated parmesan cheese, fresh parsley and olive oil adds the best texture, and the crunch complements the creaminess of the tender potatoes.
How to Make Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
This casserole only takes about 15 minutes of prep! Whether you’re serving it for an everyday family dinner or a holiday meal, it’s sure to be a hit! Here’s how to make it:
- Prep: Prepare a 9X13 inch baking dish by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Add Sweet Potatoes to Dish: Pour the cubed sweet potatoes into the prepared baking dish in an even layer.
- Make the Sauce: In a medium bowl whisk together the butter, chicken stock, thyme, oregano, parsley garlic, salt and pepper. Then briskly whisk in the flour, taking care to not create any clumps.
- Make the Topping: In a separate bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, and olive oil. Be sure to mix everything well, evenly distributing the olive oil.
- Assemble the Casserole: Pour the liquid mixture over the potatoes in the baking dish. Top the potatoes with the crispy topping, evenly distributing it all over the casserole.
- Bake: Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the topping is golden brown. Check the casserole after 30 minutes and cover with foil if the topping is getting too browned.
Tips & Variations
This casserole recipe is really very simple, but here are some tips so it’s perfect every time you make it!
- Cutting the Sweet Potato: Make sure all of the sweet potatoes are cut into cubes that are roughly the same size. This ensures even baking and consistency in every bite.
- For Convenience: To save a bit a of time while prepping this, consider purchasing pre-chopped sweet potato from the produce department of your local grocery store.
- Shred the Cheese: If you have the time, I recommend grating the parmesan cheese by hand, instead of using pre-shredded. It will melt more smoothly and have more flavor.
- Change the Herbs: Try switching it up and using some different fresh herbs, like basil, rosemary, and/or sage.
If you have some savory sweet potato casserole leftovers, then you should call yourself lucky! Here’s how to store it, so you can enjoy it later:
- Refrigerate: Let the casserole cool to room temperature. Then, place it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 6 days.
- Storing in the Freezer: Store your cooled casserole in an airtight container. It will keep for 1 month. Thaw overnight before serving.
- Reheating: Rewarm in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-15 minutes, or until warmed through. You can also pop a serving in the microwave for 15-20 second intervals until warm.
Pin this now to find it later
Prepare a 9X13 inch baking dish by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
Pour the cubed sweet potatoes into the prepared baking dish in an even layer.
In a medium bowl whisk together the butter, chicken stock, thyme, oregano, parsley garlic, salt and pepper. Briskly whisk in the flour, taking care to not create any clumps.
In a separate bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, and olive oil. Be sure to mix everything well, evenly distributing the olive oil.
Pour the liquid mixture over the potatoes in the baking dish. Top the potatoes with the crispy topping, evenly distributing it all over the casserole.
Bake for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the topping is golden brown. Check the casserole after 30 minutes and cover with foil if the topping is getting too browned.
Serving: 1servingCalories: 338kcalCarbohydrates: 29gProtein: 7gFat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0.5gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 999mgPotassium: 387mgFiber: 4gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 12311IUVitamin C: 5mgCalcium: 167mgIron: 2mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.